Reports to: COO
Location: Based at Site 2 (TBC) with 1 day per week at Clapham site
Employment type: Permanent full-time
Start date: Immediately
Salary: Commensurate with experience
At Zero Carbon Farms we grow microgreens and salad for major nationwide retailers and London’s wholesale market using hydroponic, controlled environment farming techniques. Our first farm is located 33m beneath Clapham High Street in former WW2 air-raid shelters. Our second site will be bigger and better, producing 8x the current volume from a high care, automated packhouse.
We are looking for a high performing Operations Manager to join the team and play a key role in our future success. The role will begin immediately, based at our current Clapham site, before moving to our second site by the end of 2021 to support the install, commissioning, growing trials and ramp up of the new operations.
The OM will be ultimately accountable for the successful running of both sites, with the two Site Managers reporting into them and will cover the Site Managers when they are off.
The ideal candidate will have 2+ years experience in FMCG/Operations/Engineering background or similar. They will have had exposure to project management and/or project engineering, including the install and commissioning of new equipment, and the successful ramp up and on-going production of this. They will enjoy solving problems, both big and small, and will not be afraid to get stuck in when the occasion demands.
- Accountable for the smooth and successful running of both sites
- Direct reports are the Site Managers of both sites
- Accountable for target hitting of both sites – operational, financial and staffing, KPIs (OTIF/CSL, budget, training, retention)
- Project support – for future expansions at both sites and at any new sites
- Improvement proposal review and submission to management meeting
- Production equipment maintenance facilitation – SLA, servicing, spare parts etc
- Build and support related operational systems – Daily Plan, Order Management, Stock & Goods-In, with Head of R&D & Data
- Conduct weekly operational meetings with Site Managers and Production Supervisors
- Weekly visit to Clapham site
- Ensure maintenance and improvement of OEE or similar of packhouse, and daily plan achievement inline with labour and packaging budgets
- Accountable for maintenance of both site
- Continuously review operational practices to improve process in line with financial goals
- Ensure financial targets and other agreed targets are met
- Ensure safety regulations are followed
- Ensure compliance regarding all Health & Safety regulations and worker safety
- Ensure all procedures are in place and adhered to regarding food safety and relevant regulations
- Ensure procedures, checks and forms are being completed according to technical and customer standards
- Improve current checks and procedures to improve efficiency without negatively impacting compliance
- Set, maintain and report on KPIs regarding production, growing and orders output
- Review and approve equipment needs of production areas
- Manage equipment based projects including repairs, maintenance and sourcing (includes site repairs, ventilation, electrics, vans, packing equipment, hygiene equipment, etc).
- Represent Operations on HACCP team (Company will provide Level 2 training initially if OM doesn’t have it)
- Interface with the commercial team on all serious shorts and food safety concerns
- Escalate relevant issues to Senior Management
Team Management and Leadership
- Manage both Site Managers – training, objectives, motivations
- Ensure culture is cohesive and teams are integrated
- Approving and managing direct report timetables, holidays and sicknesses
- Hold regular meetings with direct reports and farm staff
- Keep employees motivated
- Organise appropriate training and maintain training records
- Attend bi-weekly Management Meeting, and all weekly Operational meetings, and report into Board when required
- Accountable for operations, site and labour budgets
- Work with leadership team to achieve financial targets
You will be organised and effective, able to prioritise work and delegate tasks to ensure the safety of our staff and customers, and the quality of our produce being delivered.
You will be comfortable working with data, able to analyse, provide insights and report these to senior management.
You will be a strong team player and communicator, able to constructively challenge, motivate and enthuse.
T: 0207 627 1027